Old 02-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Deespatcher
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: protecting my license until I get the next job.

Having worked at a couple supplemental carriers, I was always confused why the rules seem to be loosened for the nonskeds. Seeing how you're operating on no set schedule, and often on some delayed schedule that makes knowing when to get a good sleep impossible, and into airports that may not be a regular stop for you, I'd think you'd wan a higher level safety consciousness.

For instance, and this is just me, you don't need a licensed dispatcher at a supplemental carrier. But you're expected to fly some strange route to some city you can't pronounce in a country that's younger than a few pairs of socks I own... wouldn't you think you'd need a bit more stringent requirements than flying from SAT to DAL 6 times a day, everyday? Nope, exact opposite.

Luckily, most the nonskeds see the value in having an actually licensed dispatcher working...

SO let's bend the rules for pilots flying military personnel... you can be tired, flying into (or close to) a war zone, in countries that tend not to like us that much anyways.. occasionally landing with the lights off until your damn close to the ground.... Yeah.. makes sense.