View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 PM
slowplay
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by Wasatch Phantom View Post
Slow,

I respectfully disagree with you (and agree with georgetg).

All of us, every single one, make mistakes.

I can't understand why some people (or organizations, businesses, governments, etc) simply can't say "I was wrong".

Why not admit mistakes were made and lessons learned?

We know mistakes have been made, and by denying that, ALPA loses (more) credibility, at least with me.
I mixed two posts in my response and created confusion. Sorry.

I don't deny that ALPA has made mistakes. Big ones. We just finished up 4 years of disastrous "leadership" of our International union. TM is ALPA. Not controlling the airline pilot licensing or supply (such as AMA, ABA). When we didn't control that, figuring out job portability or seniority when poorly managed companies failed. When we didn't control that, not figuring out how to deal with deregulation quickly enough. Not getting labor protective provisions enforced or controlling scope after deregulation happened. Not being relevant in Washington during the Reagan years and watching unions be dismantled after the PATCO strike. Winding the clock after 9/11 as legacy airlines and pensions got crushed.

ALPA's made plenty of mistakes.

It does get tiresome, however, when members want to repeat some of those same mistakes that ALPA made by looking in the rear view mirror of what was. Yup, that's where we were...but it's a little more important to know where we are. George's post is one of those. Sinkr8 explains it well. In addition, we've got a bunch of guys on here that like looking backwards, even as they used those undercutting mainline jobs or RJ's to build toward what they now claim was birthright...that their expectations haven't been met. Please.

The comment I viewed as a cheap shot was

Originally Posted by georgetg View Post
To me its a matter of motivation of the negotiators.
What affects your own back yard, you might watch more closely...
It's clear what motivates George...