Thread: UPS hiring FQS
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 06:52 PM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by 727574drvr View Post
Pilot7576, Thank you and I understand how you guys feel. Maybe in your next contract something can be done about this; of course they will want the pound of flesh in return. Just as a little different perspective, consider this. We have 80,000 Airline Transport Pilots in this country. I mean the ATP's who do this for a living. There are about 7,500 of the 80k that have been on the street for quite sometime. We are talking about +3 years. The 7,500 I am speaking about have some (what I consider) pretty strong credentials; +10,000 TT, +8,000 Narrow/Wide Body, +5,000 N/W Body PIC (add about 4k each to that for me). 7,500 sounds like a bunch of numbers but WE are not numbers. WE still require O2, food, water, heat, pressure (14.7psi preferred) to live. WE are your collegues, co-workers, some of us life long friends that people don't call anymore due to embarrassment or shame, because they might have to face the reality that this could have easily happened to them. WE are out of unemployment (or imminent), house in foreclosure (sold mine), lights/phone off every other month. WE don't want sympathy: WE want to work to provide for our families. If nothing else, WE are not numbers, WE are fellow Human Beings. This is a sad fact right now. Pilot7576, if you would, do me one favor, do this. The next time you hear someone say "I hate this F%$#ing Place!!!", take a deep breath, pause, and ask this person when they are calm; would they like to trade places with my friends or me? Pilot7576, Should our paths ever cross, I'll buy you a cup of coffee or adult beverage which ever the situation calls for. Our opinions are pretty much the same, just different life situations, that neither had any control of to begin with. Have a great flight, see ya around the campfire, L.
727574drv,
The IPA pilots truly understand the situation and sympathize with the whims of our industry. The irony to me is that you describe exactly the situation accurately, "WE don't want sympathy: WE want to work to provide for our families. If nothing else, WE are not numbers, WE are fellow Human Beings."

So the irony? UPS placed 109 of our pilots on the street who feel exactly as you do who tell us themselves "WE don't want sympathy: WE want to work to provide for our families. If nothing else, WE are not numbers, WE are fellow Human Beings."

We want them back making money for our shareholders, their families, and growing our business for all of our prosperity. UPS is more interested in not growing known profitable business because it is low yield profit. When you make the kind of money UPS makes, Atlanta can choose to be picky about which profitable business' to ply and discard those ventures whose profitable yields are to low. How nice for the beancounters.

So, unlike Fedex, Southern, Atlas, Polar, World, National, Evergreen, Kalitta and all, UPS shuns what they fly profitably. Means less jobs at UPS.
IPA offered the dollars to keep them on the property. UPS played Lucy and moved the football.

Then you have UPS management who wants to hire a handful of FQS' to be the replacement pilots for IPA pilots as super reserves. No one even argues anymore that they are managers. They are FAR only pilots.

Consider this: The FQS issue is unresolved. Worst case, new FQS may be on the street when resolved, in the IPA, or doing some non flying duty for the rest of their UPS career trying to climb a management ladder from a very low starting position outside your lane.

FedEX is getting ready to hire, chances are far better that one would get called and have a successful career at FedEx than as a FQS at UPS. Unless you have a strong management sponsor, would surmise chances are slim for an FQS position anyway.
I'll buy you a coffee or adult beverage too. We are on the same side of this really. If UPS pursued more business, they would be looking to hire you anyway (as a line pilot).
Wish you the best at FedEx and all.