Thread: UPS hiring FQS
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Rocco
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by 727574drvr View Post
I am sorry that I have peed in the Cheerios, I didn't realize you guys struck in 97. I was flying pax from then until 04. I tried to keep up with the cargo industry. Was it a very short strike that didn't get alot of press? I stated when first inquiring about this situation (a few pages back) if their was a work action and I was there I would quit. There are no jobs for life.
Salty is a very wise man! I would read every word of his post carefully.

The strike was short. If you run a google search for 97 UPS strike it will give you lots of info. It was a teamsters strike. Everyone was locked out including the pilots. Managers flew up to the FAR limits, then the strike was over.

UPS could be a fantastic job. Like Salty said they chose to place 109 people on the street, when there were alternatives to a furlough. BL came to Anchorage and almost seemed to boast that it was his responsibility for the furlough (he retired the next month, go figure??) This has had an impact on so many peoples lives. For what? There is no good reason.

I would SERIOUSLY look at FedEx WAY before I put in an FQS application at UPS. And I am one of the few that still thinks this is a VERY good job, but it could be a hell of a lot better!!!