Thread: Pattern entry
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 01:42 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by NoyGonnaDoIt View Post
The most-favored is a 45 join to the downwind. The rest are all in the same boat.

AFAIK, straight in is "least favored" in the sense that without VASI or some other glidepath indication, it's the most difficult for an average pilot to visually gauge and stabilize his approach. But with plenty of straight-in instrument approaches into nontowered fields (and many more now than before GPS) it's hard to justify it being unfavored from an operational standpoint.
IIRC - it was more about visibility and position (or accurate position) reporting and sequencing when I *thought* I heard that is was least favored.
It stuck in my mind for some reason because I remembering thinking that it would be a good approach (no turning, initial level flight and then hopeful nice constant descent approach, all threats out in front of the windshield / off the nose, etc...)

I'm about to get my fill of flying in / around noncontrolled airports very soon I'm going around 2-3 of them even tomorrow hopefully! These discussions always help me a lot.

USMCFLYR