Thread: UPS hiring FQS
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Swedish Blender
Where's my Mai Tai?

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: fins to the left, fins to the right

Originally Posted by dogismycopilot View Post
Probably not as old as you, but the guys sitting to my left that used to work at Emory sure complain a lot about getting left in the cold.

From their description of circumstances, Emory was bought by UPS and shut down. They were not offered positions at Brown. If I am off base on this, please let me know. The captians I fly with are never prone to exaggeration

I guess my point was, that while many years removed from what you are going through now, Emory pilots faced all the same struggles and uncertainties that go along with unemployment. In speaking with the 3 former Emory guys I know, they thought they might have had a shot at a job at UPS following what happened between the two companies (again, my history is a little fuzzy, so correct me if I am wrong). For whatever reason, they did not get that opportunity, and ended up on the street.
Since UPS didn't buy Emory college, I don't think those guys had a chance.

Emery Worldwide Airlines, however, was shut down several years prior to UPS purchasing Menlo (it was all contractors). EWW had a couple of unfortunate accidents, maintenance issues, and issues with OSHA (couple people ran over by forklifts, etc.). Emery even locked OSHA out until they came back with US Marshalls. I'm sure that went a long way with the government.