View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 06:31 PM
FrankCobretti
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Top
Angry High Speed Rail

Colleagues,

As promised in the "Latest & Greatest" thread, here's a message about high speed rail that I urge you to copy, modify, and send to your representative in Congress. Thank you for your consideration.

---

Dear Congressman,

Thank you for your service to our nation.

I was shocked to read tonight's article in the Wall Street Journal entitled "Biden Announces $53 Billion Rail-Funding Plan." (Biden Announces $53 Billion Rail-Funding Plan - WSJ.com)

I understand that the Vice President is a customer and a fan of high speed rail and that he wants to offer its delights to as many Americans as possible. However, I offer you the following four arguments in opposition to this plan:

1. High speed rail is a niche market. I'm a regular rail commuter to New York City. I *always* take the Northeast Regional instead of the Acela. Why? Because the Regional gets me there twenty minutes later for $100.00 less.

2. High speed rail is a product in search of a customer. If high speed rail were economically viable on its own, Acela would turn enough of a profit for Amtrak to be able to build out the system without extra taxpayer dollars.

3. Our deficit is enormous, and it's only getting bigger. I don't know about you, but I don't buy shiny new toys on credit: that's financially irresponsible.

4. I'm an airline pilot. Investing my tax money in a service that functions as a direct competitor to my industry is just plain wrong: it's like the Vice President wants me to pay to put myself out of business.

According to the article, Vice President Biden says we need to invest in our infrastructure. I agree: fix our crumbling bridges; fill our expanding potholes; update our woefully inadequate electrical grid. But high speed rail is, to use a term from my military service, a boondoggle of the highest order.

I urge you to defy the Vice President on this embarrassingly wasteful initiative. Please, oppose throwing good money after bad. Oppose federal funding for high speed rail!