Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 PM
BHopper88
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: CRJ FO

Originally Posted by f16jetmech View Post
First off, why is it that every person who feels attacked starts with "you're just a cfi, how could you know anything?". Well first off, I know how life works. Jobs are jobs whether it's mcdonalds or a lawyer. I know how this country works and what makes it tick. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Secondly, if it's all about money and profits and that's why the unions are in place, then why isn't that true about every single company in this country? There is proof that unions aren't the answer. All over this country, not just in one sector of the economy.
Ummm ok, I am sorry but you have NO IDEA what you are talking about with unions. Have you ever worked for a 121 carrier? auto industry?
Why do you think EVERY major airline (JetBlue and virgin America) and all but 1 regional (SkyWest) in the US has a union to represent them? Have you ever looked at why there are unions? Ever heard of the case "Skywest v don douglas? What about the recent United v Continental pilots (Scope)? Unions are there as a stop gap to in many ways to be means to "protect", negotiate contracts, and make sure they are upheld by the company.

If all you have done in the aviation industry was to be a cfi then I am sorry you have no idea what its like at a 121 carrier and why unions are and can be a good thing. Yea there are inefficiencies, but when unions and management are on the same page then things work great, when one side tries to take "control" more or less things start to go south. If it wasnt for unions to tell mgmt that "hey you cant do this" and even take things to court on your side, its a good thing.

Fatigue issues would be a bigger problem if it wasnt for the backing of all the unions in this industry. As much as ALPA can be a mess and a big corporation itself, there have been many improvements to the industry with the help and backing of ALPA.

Last edited by BHopper88; 02-10-2011 at 08:53 PM.