View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Grumble
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Finish your flight training off campus, get your CFII/MEI as fast as possible, then go back and instruct for the remainder of your career there. Aero Eng or Human Factors would be a better degree to get, Comp Sci majors are a dime a dozen these days. Everyone I know that did AE or HF went on to work for NASA, Raytheon, Boeing, etc. Plus you can fly your ass off instructing part time. I had over 1000 hours when I graduated with 150 or so multi. If you decide to not chase the flying dream the AE or HF degrees will make you marketable in those fields and thus give you a ton of options. Aero Sci isn't a dead end, but it's going to be much more challenging and your next 5 years after graduation won't be easy. 1500 hours is not an insurmountable hurdle, just get your CFI as fast and as cheaply as possible. Also look into the Air Traffic Mgt minor and the ATC career field. Knew lots of guys that gave up on flying when the market tanked in 2000 and went that route, don't know one that regrets it.