Thread: Quality of life
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 PM
BDGERJMN
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Walmart Greeter

Plenty of threads here in the military section to search and sift through. My .02...don't stay in or get out for monitary reasons. Stay in or get out for quality of life reasons. I would also tell you that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I got out in August 2008, at the height of 'no hiring'. I was 30 days away from my last day on active duty with no job, no reserve gig lined up and 4 month old twins...no stress there. 2.5 yrs later I have a very nice GS(formerly Contractor) position and a reserve flying gig all in the same locale...I'm very lucky and very fortunate and have the QOL I left the navy for. I wouldn't have that in the airlines until I gained alot of seniority, depending on who I could have been hired with and I still would have had to commute to one or the other. It worked for me and I get the flying taste in my reserve job.

Bottom line, do what's right for you and your family and your overall quality of life, after all that is the thread's title...the hardest part of the whole decision is walking away from the security blanket you have now. I don't envy your decision but it's a decision that only you can make in your situation.

Best of luck