View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 PM
mswmsw
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Loans suck, why start your life off in debt? (Especially when your entry level CFI or Regional job is going to have really low pay.) Here's my suggestion: (1) Live at home so you don't have to pay rent (your parents will probably like this better than co-signing for a huge loan). (2) Enroll at and attend your local Community College, take whatever classes you want; Community Colleges are usually very inexpensive and they are REAL colleges; (3) Work a part time job (or two) to make money (4) Spend that money as you earn it, at your local flight school, to get your ratings. And yes, with good time management, you can do all these thing simultaneously, and even have some time left over for fun. If you are industrious, and work hard, in two years you will have an AA Degree (in whatever), and your Comm, ME, and CFI tickets..... and you are only 20. Spend 1-2 years CFI'ing or whatever aviation job you can find and you will be well poised, at 21-22 years old, for further advances in your aviation career...... and you won't be in debt.

BTW, for those of you who are 16 or 17 and still in High School, and looking for a future career in aviation, my suggestion would be to do steps (3) and (4) now and you can get a little head start on this sort of plan.

Just my two cents worth, YMMV.