View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM
buzzpat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Urban chicken rancher.

Originally Posted by FmrFreightDog View Post
Something else that has nothing to do with Katy Perry (or ALPA... or ribs, for that matter... or Doug Steenland, thank goodness). But it does have to do with bids being posted, so it's semi-relevant....

I'm in -88 school coming off the -9. Set to finish on March 13th. Shadowed out until the 19th (for IOE, I presume). I attempted to bid, first for days off (son's birthday the last weekend of march) and then for pretty much max sked, but bid to get the days off even if I needed to be on reserve.

Once the bids came out, there's nothing. My line shows the training until the 13th & the requisite credit, but nothing at all for the rest of the month. The reasons report doesn't even show my bid processed. It just shows the training.

Was I not eligible to bid for March? If not, what happens after OE? What are my chances of being able to finagle the last weekend of the month off?

Sorry for all the questions. I realize I could look all this up, but SPD SEL vs. IAS/MACH and the fact that the gol-darned throttles move all by themselves is taking up too much room in my brain at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
Hey FDOG,

I had a similar situation when I went through 73 school a few years ago. You're not an eligible bidder because your in an initial training class. Your OE scheduler will set you up for a rotation as you near completion of your training. At that point, you have a few options. What I did, because I also wanted some time off after training, was to call scheduling and ask for an "open line" meaning I was essentially off for the rest of the month (without pay). Or, you'll be on reserve for the rest of the month. What I would do if you can't handle the rest of the month without pay is to call your OE scheduler and let him/her know what you're hoping to do after the OE. They'll try and hook you up. If they don't want to help, call scheduling and see if they'll put in some "personal" X days for the specific days off you need.

Other, more scholarly gents, may have a better take on this. It worked for me however. Good luck.

Buzz