Old 02-18-2011, 08:29 PM
TonyWilliams
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Self employed

Originally Posted by Rnav View Post

Questions:
1.) Does anyone know if the big boys look more favorable on the international experience I could gain flying an RJ vs. flying locally?

Well, I can speak from first hand experience that at least one of the "big boys", Emirates, doesn't care for CRJ's, and have in the past gone out of their way to specifically exclude CRJ experience (planes under 55 tonnes). They don't care where you fly the CRJ.

But, presumably, your "big boys" means US carriers. Certainly, I don't think it would be a strike against you, but to say that it provides value to Delta, for instance, I can honestly argue otherwise.

Flying in Vietnam, where presumably you never go into a mega busy airport like ATL/ORD/JFK, et al, or de-ice, or use exemption 3585 (or any US rule, for that matter). I don't see that as a plus. If they do, I couldn't answer.

2.) If there is a 13 month contract and I'm offered a job(lets assume with one of the big companies mentioned above) if I leave EARLY will it hurt my future prospect that I left early for a better paying/dream job?

You didn't live up to your end of a bargain. In a short interview, should that come up, I'd have one heck of a good explanation why that happened. And not because of a bigger, better deal. Otherwise, the only thing that they know about you is that you don't live up to your obligations that you voluntarily entered.

3.) If I got violated in another country while flying on a contract would that hurt my chances of getting the dream job? I only mention this since there was some talk about the possibility the locals in some countries could screw you over for some stupid reason and there would be no recourse?

That may happen, but I'd worry more about JAIL than your future, maybe US job. I wouldn't worry about a tiny third world country's enforcement action affecting you much in the USA. Should that happen in a foreign, first world country... totally different story.

I'll relate a story from my expat foreign airline. The crew was arrested on landing for having an improper landing / overflight permit. Granted, they had no idea, and did not develop the paperwork. It was handed to them, and they flew it.

They were in jail for two weeks.... naked... both of them in the same cell.

Have fun.