Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 AM
captjns
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

As posed by RNAV

If I got violated in another country while flying on a contract would that hurt my chances of getting the dream job?

From TP

If you're violated using a license in a foreign country the FAA will never know about it unless you tell them. That said, the rest of the world isn't as stupid as the FAA in this regards. I don't even remotely worry about violations when flying internationally. One exception being Australia
Not to step on any toes here....

If you are flying on an actual foreign airman's certificate, statement may be true. If you are flying on a validation, in other words, you are given a permit to fly in a particular country after satisfying certain requirements such as an air law exam and possible medical exam then the statement may not be true. Under flying in a foreign country with a validation, you are still required to keep your FAA airman’s and medical certificate current. If a situation occurs where a violation is issued, the country has the right to notify the FAA of said violation. Does it happen??? Some instances yes… and some instances no. It depends on the sophistication of that country’s DGCA.

I’ve been an expat for the better part of 21 years. So, I am not familiar with the application process in the US. Your employment history will reveal the country(ies) you’ve been employed. And your prospective employer may send your current airline an information form for completion. With that being said, I would say that prudence would be required when completing the section of the application as it pertains to violations. You’re prospective employer or investigation firm may contact airlines you’ve flown for overseas. They may ask about violations that may have been issued.

Anyway, if you’ve been flying on a full license in a particular country and are violated for whatever reason, your FAA records would probably be clean. If flying on a validation, that country has the right to report any violation to the FAA. In any event the prospective employer you are looking to fly for may find out if you incurred any violations, through their back ground checks, irrespective of what type of certification you are operating under. So one needs to be very careful when completing the violation section of the employment application.

Before applying for a job back in the US, perhaps you may want to consider engaging a company that conducts back ground checks for pilots. Information gathered by them will be similar to the information gathered by the airlines’ investigating company.