View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 03:51 AM
Jetjok
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by HanoiHILTON View Post
To FedEx pilots only:

I am currently flying in Vietnam for Air Mekong, which is a part of SkyWest Airlines in St. George Utah. I am on a 13-month contract. Thinking about applying to FedEx and just wondering about the 5 year continuous in U.S. rule.

Will this be exempted if the country you're living/working in has full diplomatic relations with America?
You've got some interesting ideas of what is due you and what isn't. I for one agree with you that an employer has no right to discriminate, in any manner at all, against a perspective employee. As an example, FedEx requires pilots to have 1500 hours total fixed-wing time as pilot-in-command. I say that FedEx should be made to hire pilots with the bare minimums, otherwise it's discrimination, isn't it? As well, they say that the candidate "Must pass FAA mandated drug screen". Have you ever heard of anything more discriminatory in your life! They should be forced to hire some druggies, just so that group of pilots can feel like they're getting a fair shake.

On the FedEx website, they say "This position requires clearance from United States Postal Service including a FBI fingerprint check." How totally unfair is that? Shouldn't they just be made to accept a potential applicants written and verbal statements as fact. I mean come on already.

You get my drift? Anyway, the company has other rules and requirements that they have posted, for two reasons: first is they don't want a glut of applications from guys whom they deem to be unqualified; and secondly, they don't want to have to spend the money, investigating these guys, because it's expensive. If you have lived outside the USA for over the specified period of time, it becomes exceedingly expensive to do an FBI background check. So I ask you, what skills do you have that would make you more of an asset to FedEx, than would a guy who has lived in Cleveland for the past 5 years?

As for flying for Air Mekong, which appears to be only partly owned by Sky West, about 30% ownership, from what I can tell, and this ownership took place only a few months ago, the question begs, were you employed there prior to this partial purchase, and if so, has it been 6 months or more?

I think you have a very good law suit here, but remember that the application window closes around the end of March. Hey, wait a minute.... isn't that discriminatory too? How can that be allowed. The application window should never be closed, because someone, somewhere, at some time, might want to apply.

And just as an aside, if you think flying in Vietnam is difficult, you should try a weekend layover in Newark.

JJ