Gets Weekends Off
bunk22
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jun 2007
  • Position
    Retired Naval Aviator
Quote: I believe the reason that the FALANT test it not authorized is because of its simplicity and it is antiquated. According to the net, it is really hard to find. Also, from what I can tell, it only tests colors red, green, and white. When I went to Brooks, the Air Force seemed more worried about other colors rather than the typical red/green issue due to the numerous colors now being used in EFIS instruments.

Regardless, a former naval officer's color deficiency was casual in an aircraft accident (FedEx 727 accident). Interestingly enough, he could pass the FALANT test but failed the PIP tests.
The new test is the OPTEC 900, a modern version of the FALANT and supposedly more stringent. I've taken both and couldn't tell a difference. The test measures color perception and apparently is appropriate for aviation. If there were a number of mishaps directly related to this issue, the light test would be gone no doubt. The Navy has demonstrated its effectiveness over the years. Keep it simple. Now, the NTSB report below does not agree with me, how can that be...with all medical experience I'm certainly one of those who wouldn't be flying without the FALANT though I've passed some PIP tests and have taken several more including a light test where you match the colors and it gives you readout on a scale that tells you exactly how color defiecient you are (I was very mild, within AF standards I believe if one were already in as I think one has to have no defects to enter). Of course I've also flown to the carrier during the day, night, airfields day/night, night form, etc, never having an issue.....knock on wood.