View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 10:06 AM
gojo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2010

Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
Why should someone who does not have a job be put above someone who does have a job?

Thats a windfall. Windfalls aren't going to happen.

All that aside, Mesaba furloughs were going farther and farther from having jobs too. With more and more furloughs put above them. Mesaba was going to be a shrinking airline with lots of furloughs, downgrades, and displacements. When you look at career future at the 3 airlines, Mesaba has the least to claim. Even by stapling Mesaba, this merger and SLI would still be saving a lot of their jobs.

The most fair and equitable SLI is one in which nobody gains anything over anyone else. If you are currently at the bottom of a list and out of a job, any change from that is a gain. That gain comes at someone else's expense. If I were a Mesaba furlough, I'd be thrilled so far, seeing as how I'm going to get to come back to work. Anything more than that should not be expected.
You are making a lot of assumptions... it's true that Mesaba was heading in the wrong direction, but we just don't know what would have happened if we weren't bought by Pinnacle Holdings, essecially if Pinnacle struck.