View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 10:44 AM
VeeRay
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: Pointy End

Ask and ye shall receive, nattyboh...

Hey, all. I was in the Tuesday group this week, and I've gotta say WOW. Great company, great people, great airplanes, great destinations, great future. Not that I needed any more convincing, but they left zero room for doubt: Atlas is where I want to be!

As you've heard here before, the interviewers are FRIENDLY and non-threatening, so you can relax, be yourself, and tell your story. Know what Atlas does, know what's in your records, know your strengths and weaknesses (including on the tech test), and be ready to talk about those things. Above all, be ready to explain why you want to work for Atlas and how what you can do fits in with what they do--that's just Interview 101, really.

Also, know how to write a one-page essay (intro, body, conclusion, three main points, five paragraphs, yada, yada), since you'll get to do that. If you're not an expert on the topic they pick, just try to make it plausible and coherent--I think (hope!) that's the point of the exercise.

And, as others have said, if there are any potential "red flags" in your records, it's probably best to address those yourself, if only for your own peace of mind. Of course Atlas wants to know if you're REALLY committed to the company and lifestyle, so if your 737 type doesn't mean you secretly want to work for SWA, SAY SO, and say why. If you recently took the FEX exam (because a certain high-vis cargo outfit has a window open), either leave that off your resume or, better yet, explain why you'd RATHER fly for Atlas.

[NOTE: Didn't think of that last one, myself, until afterward. So if any HR folks read this, for the record: I don't CARE if "Brand F" pays a little more. They don't fly 747s and just aren't as cool, in my book--I still vote for Atlas! ]

As for getting there, I went through FLL and rented a compact car ridiculously cheap from Enterprise, something like $11/day ($20 with taxes, etc). Bring your own GPS, skip the extra coverage and the "style-points" SUV upgrade (for "only" $20/day more!), and you can't beat the deal. The drive to MIA is easy and only 30-45 mins, depending on traffic.

For a hotel I went with the Comfort Inn across the street (one of the alternatives listed in the email invite), rather than something in the standard Marriott complex. This wasn't because I was feeling anti-social or rebellious, but because my ever-practical personal assistant (i.e. wife) found that (a) the Courtyard crew rates were used up, and (b) the CI has free breakfast. I wouldn't call the CI 4-star by any stretch, but it was comfortable enough, very convenient to Atlas, and offered an inspirational bonus: From my room (#513) I had a great view of the MIA flightline AND the Atlas gold-tail pax jet all lit up on the ramp across the street. Glorious.

There were 12 in our group with the usual mix of 121/135 & MIL background, including heavy, RJ, biz and fast jets. We yukked it up all day and had a fine time--exceptional bunch, and all very deserving, so I hope to see more of you guys!

Now, as we all know, comes the hard part... waiting.... But regardless of the result, it was a great experience and a glimpse of the holy grail, my new mission in life. If not this time, someday!

Best of luck to all who made or will make the trip. It is WAY worth it...