Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 AM
snippercr
Does NOT get weekends off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: ERJ - 145

Here are my questions:

1. people like climbtoFL350, willflyforfood, and I think USPilotJobs. There are some free sites, some pay sites. People have argued either way on these places. The only thing I have paid for is airlineapps.com because they expire on the free version and there are several airlines I applied to.

2. I originally made my resume based on some templates offered at my school, however they did seem a bit dated. I actually had someone here offer to rewrite my resume and I have been using the template ever since.

3. Never heard of this in Aviation. Other things I've applied for requested a picture to be included, but that was non-aviation related.

4. 1 page Resume/1 page cover letter. Generally true for not just aviation, but jobs in general. It's not your life story: It's the 5 second teaser trailer designed to get interest. Only a few careers I know want longer (music, art, etc).

5. I have always wondered this too. I usually attach both and make it very clear in the email that I am sending my resume and cover letter (and for heavens sake, do NOT forget to attach them).

6. *.doc I think is universally acceptable. If you have office 2007 or later, make sure you save it as *.doc and NOT *.docx. The later is newer, but NOT backwards compatible. You may find a HR person using an older computer

7. I think in general, just make it somewhat professional sounding. mine is [email protected] (John Smith), using first initial and last name. I think gmail or an ISP email is pretty acceptable. AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo... well, you really shouldn't be judged by your domain but it's possible. Just don't be i<[email protected]. Get it as close to your name as possible.

8. YES! Prep the hell out of your first interview. Practice, role play, video tape, etc. Find people who have done it before, maybe at that airline. Even if it is your second, third or eighth interview, you should practice.

9. You can't go wrong with suit, white shirt, red tie. However, most people say suit, white or light colored shirt, and simple/non-distracting tie is fine.

10. I know follow up is common place in other professions, but not sure in aviation (I have limited practice in all these by the way). If they say do not call...well, do not call!

11. Use the interview, if offered, as a chance to tour/get information. If you interview, and get offered a job, you don't have to take it because you might have found something you didnt like.

12. More information on this topic than can fill this post. look around.

13. I have kept in contact over the years with several employers who I've really wanted to work with who were either not hiring, or had mins above what I had. Often times they ask for a resume anyways to keep on file (read blue bin) but I still keep in contact to show my interest. But dont do this with EVERY company, especially if you haven't met the person in person.

13. huh?

14. Don't make it look like a form cover letter. Tie it as closely as possible to the company.

15. For most airline jobs, you are a little short on TT and ME. In general, 1000TT/100ME is the norm. Eagle wants 800TT. In general though, these are the hours people are getting hired at. No more are the days of "Min requirements" and "Competitive" requirements. At least not with the regionals. If you are looking for 135 or 91, you probably need more hours and specific type of aircraft (King air time, Baron time, etc).