Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Disclaimer, this all applies to the US. Overseas, I can't say other than to be even more conservative.

Originally Posted by Photon View Post
5. Email applications. Obviously if you send your application via snailmail, the cover letter and resume is easily distinguishable. However, what should you do when applying via email? Should you put the cover letter in the body of the email, or put it as an attachment, and in that case, what should you put in the body?
I would copy key points of the cover into the email body. That will be an attention-getter. Also attach a formal cover, so they can print it out if they review stuff by hand.

6. What is the best format to save your cv as. PDF or MS Word?
I would say PDF. That way there can be no accidental typos inserted by someone who opens the world file (which would reflect poorly on you later). Also word can have issues if the recipient does not have the same version you do.

7. What do most companies consider a professional email address? I have several myself. Such as: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected].
Does it make a difference? (The mydomain email is actually my personal website, so if they hit the address after the @ they will get there. Not sure if that would be an advantage or not).
Two things:

- Avoid the common free email accounts (hotmail, yahoo, etc). This is probably not a big deal since I think a lot of pilots use them anyway. In other industries you would be expected to have a professional-sounding company email.

- Ensure that your email address is professional, ie [email protected], not [email protected]

I don't see anything wrong with using your personal domain, as long as the email address, domian name, and web site contents are professional. I would ensure that if you are giving them a link to your personal site that it contain only professional info, or at least nothing too personal. You could probably post info about benign hobbies, activities, etc. But not your diary, party photo's etc. You get the idea. You could always hide your really personal stuff behind a password if needed.

8. Interview prep. Is investing in professional interview preparation worth it? What about simulator prepping?
Yes, it probably is unless you have already done multiple aviation interviews. Even then it might be a good idea. When hiring was booming, I used to recommend that pilots who had no intention of working at a bottom-feeder company apply and interview anyway...just for the practice. Since pilots were in short supply the interview was almost guaranteed if you applied.

As far as sim prep, yes I would recommend that unless you have plenty of recent time in an airplane or sim which is very similar to the one being used. In most cases, someone out in town will offer sim prep which is specific to larger airlines.

9. Dressing for the interview. As far as I've read on this board, a business type suit, with the red tie is the way to go. Would you use this for all aviation interviews anywhere in the world?
Yes, unless someone tells you otherwise and has a good reason.

10. Followup on the application. Should you call the employer a certain amount of time after sending the application? In that case how long, and what if it says "do not call us", any other way to get their attention?
If it says don't call, then don't call. Otherwise it might be beneficial to call in about one month (but only if they are actively hiring). Don't be a pest, repeat follow ups every six months might be OK. If you are flying, the fact that you have more flight time is a good excuse to send a revised resume and follow up.

11. Showing up. My own country has very very few employment opportunities at this time, so all my job search will pretty much be abroad. As I don't really have the money to trek around the entire world showing up at every operator, I might be able to visit just a few. What's the best way to go about this?
Unless you know someone, you will need a lot of luck to show up when a decision maker has the time and inclination to speak with you, and is in a good mood.

12. Behavior during calls, interviews etc. Any good concrete pointers on what kind of behavior, mannerisms, speech and conversation material the companies really look out for when they deal with you?
Conservative, friendly, straightforward. There is all kinds of info on the internet about interviewing and first impressions, google it.

13. Hitting up the ones that do not employ. Would you guys recommend calling people who are not currently hiring, or sending out resumes even to these guys?
If they are accepting resumes, you should submit one. Sometimes companies will consider that you demonstrated long-term interest.

13. Cover letters. Obviously, your CV doesn't change from application to application, but the cover letter obviously does. What are key points to get down on this piece of paper?
Make sure you understand the company in question, their issues, and likely future direction. Try to tailor you letter to that. For example if a company is opening a new base in a place where their current pilots don't want to live, but you happen to have family ties there or are otherwise willing to relocate.