View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM
DLax85
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Gear Monkey

Originally Posted by Flyinhigh View Post
I am no tax lawyer, but a little quick research into the Pilot Benefit Book referenced The Internal Revenue Code Section 415 for retirement age. I looked up this section of the IRC and found under Section 415(b)(9)(B) "Special Rules for Commercial Airline Pilots." This paragraph referenced me back to Section 415(b)(2)(C) which basically said you will get a reduced benefit if you retire before age 60. There were also some references to age 62 which were replaced with the age 60 wording for Commercial Airline Pilots. Then my head exploded.
I have no idea what the change to the FAA mandated retirement age does to this section. Looks like we are fighting the IRS and not the company. I guess if I really cared I could start digging in to that law but it sounds to me like we need to fight for maintaining age 60 before it reverts to age 62.
The FAA does not control, and therefore did not change the "retirement" age.

That's covered by our contract.

The FAA changed the "regulated" age --- that's the max age you can fly in a window seat.

The terms are NOT synonymous.

The company cannot change the retirement age unilaterally --- we would have to agree to it.