View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 03:47 AM
NowCorporate
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by clipperskipper View Post
I found a lot of connections on F@cebook, for what it's worth. Being out of the business for a long time hurts, but the connections and interviews are starting to fall into place. Corporate is a relatively small circle, as above, networking is key here.
Like any social networking concept - be careful with Facebook etc.

I have seen pilots on facebook who post such absurd stuff I'd never consider hiring them.

I have seen pictures of the bosses airplane with N-number, pictures of the bosses house, pictures of his boat, pictures of passengers, details of every trip the boss takes, hell I have even seen facebook apps people post that show their upcoming filed flight plan!....n-Number, routes, destination...the whole thing. Unreal. We are very small and dont have a social network policy specifically (have a confidentiality clause) but I can guarantee you would be fired for posting some of the stuff I have seen....and rightfully so.

Nothing wrong with a fun anonymous picture or location etc just use discretion. Its not between "friends" (are they your friends because they are on facebook?)....People copy things off Facebook and send them around all the time. I have gotten more than one "do you know f'n idiot" inquires.

Really common sense stuff - but you would be amazed. I would certainly check Facebook when considering a new pilot, and there are people I would never consider or rec'd for a job based on entirely on their facebook postings. Don't put anything there that you wouldn't want the people you fly to see, because they may.

Anyhow - send a resume and follow up with a phone call. Dont just "drop in"..not a good idea at most hangars. It takes years to build up a solid network, theres no magic formula for it...be qualified, be local...outside of that consider yourself a long shot without very good connections and references.

Good Luck!

Last edited by NowCorporate; 03-01-2011 at 06:30 AM.