Thread: Any "Latest & Greatest" about Delta?

newKnow , 03-02-2011 08:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off
newKnow
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Feb 2007
  • Position
    765-A
Quote: Roosevelt openly opposed bargaining rights for government unions.

"The process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service," Roosevelt wrote in 1937 to the National Federation of Federal Employees. Yes, public workers may demand fair treatment, wrote Roosevelt. But, he wrote, "I want to emphasize my conviction that militant tactics have no place" in the public sector. "A strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent on their part to prevent or obstruct the operations of Government."

RealClearPolitics - FDR's Ghost Is Smiling on Wisconsin's Governor

Why not have a union as a member of the military? Same reason as stated above.

Private unions create profits and have competition. Public unions are monopolies that raise taxes.

While I appreciate you quoting FDR, you have to realized that you are quoting a past President who probably looked at the federal government as being more powerful than any President ever has. He, and his successor (Truman), were having no part of any opposition from labor unions, to private businesses, to Supreme Court Justices. If you got in their way, they would go through you our around you.

To borrow your FDR quote again....

".....[ BLANK ] manifests nothing less than an intent on their part to prevent or obstruct the operations of Government."

....I'd like to point out that Roosevelt and Truman used that as an excuse to do everything they did. You can fill in the blank with, "A Supreme Court that doesn't defer to me," or "Private businesses that won't negotiate with their employees," and finish each quote off with, "So, I should be able to pack the court in my favor" (A switch in time saves Nine.), or "So, I should be able to orchestrate a federal takeover of any private business under the guise of National Security." (Youngstown).

In essence, FDR was against public sector, federal unions because he didn't want anything getting in the way of his federal government. Unless you are posting the quote for the same reason, you are using it out of context.