Thread: TA poll (FedEx)
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 AM
golfandfly
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009

Originally Posted by FDX1 View Post
Your points are well taken and certainly worth considering when evaluating the TA. The two MEC No votes I think reflect similar concerns.

I just don't look at the FDA's as a giveaway to the Company. I see some real significant improvements that will help our pilots that chose that flying. I also don't view this as a giveaway by (domestic) folks or as a loss of flying. That is exactly the point, WE ARE DOING the flying, and fear mongering aside, I don't want to give the company any ammo to go look for cheaper alternatives. We all know our international growth from Asian, SA, and the EU are the key to our increase in business. That growth will ultimately have a larger impact on my career, earnings, rate of upgrade and retirement than any of the following: accepted fairs, r-day value, real time trip trading, etc. (I do agree that these are worthy to be fixed in the near future, I just don't feel these items are even on the same playing field when compared with our companies growth and competition in the international (high profit) market. I want them to have the edge and am happy I play for FedEx vs. the competitors. I want to keep it that way!

That is why they get my YES on the TA.
Fair points.

However, are you saying that if we don't eat a $hit sandwich that they'll give it to someone else? Are we supposed to be in constant fear if we don't accept their deal that the Chinese/Irish (fill in the blank) will do the work? I am not afraid. If they do, it might finally ignite the crew force to grow a pair.

I think you should vote on how it effects YOU. I'm advocating being selfish. I am not planning on ever moving to an FDA. Not saying it won't happen, but at this moment, I am not interested in the least. While I think it's great to have a better package, those of us based in the US will see a reduction in our bidpacks. And, to me, is a huge giveaway.

I hope Fedex has the edge also, but that doesn't mean that I want to short change myself to make it happen. We could jumpseat on company aircraft instead of airlines, or at least fly coach. We could take paycuts or reduce our benefits. The current bidpack is one of my benefits now. Those that fly Siba type trips like the status quo. I like deadheads to Asia to fill in when they need a crewmember. Some like 2 week commuter friendly trips that fly intra Asia. It's a giveback, and if you want me to giveback something, I would like something in return. The time value of a 3% raise is almost worthless to me. It's not near good enough for me.

Again, when looking at a contract TA, I believe you should take care of your interest. The vast majority of the contract is of great importance for all of us. No matter where you are based, I think we all want to protect/improve retirement, vacation, quality of life, etc. I don't think it behooves the majority of us to give up a nice part of our bidpacks to help a few hundred guys that chose to bid an LOA. I'd be glad to help them when we sign our new contract that does more than a 3% raise and a quarter per diem increase.

And for the guy that said the ND voted YES because he wanted the immediate 3% gain. I have to say it is probably in his best interest to do so.