View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Twin Wasp
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Sr. VP of button pushing

Don't know about Tolair, Wiki has two entries, one says they're gone and one doesn't. But their web page is gone. One of the Wiki entries says they were bought by Four Star. Someone uploaded some Twin Beech videos to Youtube last summer but no date. Funny thing, one of the videos shows a takeoff and the tailwheel stays down. I got busted one time because the company didn't like working on the bicycle chain and pinned the tailwheel down. But we had Ten One kits and the Fed said you can't pin the tailwheel with a Ten One kit. Nothing happened to me but the company got their hand slapped. I'd think if Tolair was running freight they'd have Ten One planes.

There are enough Threes running loose that if someone can make money working them, more power to them. When it comes down to 20 or 30 left, then maybe save them for museums and airshows. Thirty some years ago when I was flying them for a living we'd pull in someplace and the line guys would say, "I saw one of these in the museum." December 17, 1985, NOVA had a special on the fiftieth anniversary of the DC-3's first flight. I didn't get to see it, I was out flying a Three that night.