View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Ranger Joe
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Default Instrument Rating

Greetings all, brand new to the forum and have a few questions. I'm looking for my instrument rating and was trying to decide on an accelerated program or a traditional program. I'm currently in Afghanistan but live in Fayetteville NC.

I'm in the Army and just crested 20 years. I have no intention of getting out yet but want to have all my ratings in place for when I do. I'd like to be as marketable as possible once I close this chapter of my life. I have a BS in Pro Aero form ERAU, my A&P license and will be plugging away at my masters from ERAU as soon as I return.

My goal is to nug out another 10 years in the service of our country, then retire and fly. Corporate aviation, charters, or even contract work interests me. I have a family to support so I figure with a 75% retirement from the military, my standard of living shouldn't take to hard of a hit.

So, in short, best way to get an instrument rating (part 141 preferably so I can go the VA route) and where should I focus to achieve my goals in the long run?

Much thanks and I appreciate all the info already received on this forum