View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 06:47 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Teacher Salaries

Teacher Salary

CNN had a story this morning about teacher salaries. The state of Connecticut had the highest average at over 58,000/ year plus fantastic benefits.

You know when the regionals have sunk into a working hobby when pilot pay falls below that of teachers. Don't get me wrong, I like teachers. I like to use them for comparison since most people have the impression that they don't earn very much. However, compared to most pilot jobs I would call them rich.

Teachers only work 8 months out of the year. Get a full ride retirement (in most cases) and get every holiday, two weeks at xmas and one week in the spring off. Teachers enjoy a normal 8 to 4 work schedule. They don't have to buy expensive licenses and ratings. In most regions teacher jobs are easy to get. Teachers also start out at a wage that is mostly livable.

Pay Averages:

California $56,444

Oregon $49,169

Washington $45,434

Utah $38,976

Teacher benefits high

The NEA survey does not directly address the level of benefits paid to teachers, but research conducted by the OSBA, the Chalkboard Project and others does.

Benefits as a general category typically incorporate a variety of expenditures expressed as a percent of salary:

F.I.C.A. (Social Security & Medicare) 7.65%
Workers Compensation 1.00%
Unemployment 0.30%
PERS Employee Contribution 6.00%
PERS Employer Contribution 16.97%
Total 31.92%

Something to think about.

SkyHigh