View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 08:25 AM
flyandive
Airport Hobo

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by Jones14 View Post
I was recently given a demo of the iPad with the ForeFlight App. Not much else to say, I had to have it for myself.

I got on eBay early yesterday morning and got a great deal on the 32GB model with Wi-Fi only. Now I'm curious if I should have got the model with 3G also? I have heard that the 3G model has an internal GPS which enhances the useability of the App. I'm curious though if you have to have a data plan through Verizon or AT&T for the GPS to work? I already have a 3G data plan for my phone, do you have to have a seperate plan for a tablet? What is the cost? What will 3G really gain me with ForeFlight?

Can anyone give me the rundown here?
You should also check out skycharts pro, it's just the charts but it's a lot cheaper and pretty user friendly.

FYI:
3G model has AGPS, WiFi does not, heard the bad elf GPS works a lot better!
You do not have to have a data plan for the GPS to work.
Have to have a separate plan from your phone
Cost varies quite a bit between the two carriers on data plans
I Don't use foreflight much (I have SkyCharts) but 3g will get you the ability to file flight plans and get weather without needing a Wi-Fi hot spot.

Also with the first gen iPad 3g you can either use AT&T straight out of the box or you can purchase a Mi-Fi adapter from Verizon to use it with their network. Works on both, but got to carry another device for Verizon.
With the new iPad 2 coming out Friday you choose which carrier you want to use and you get the iPad that only works with that carrier. However in both cases they are pay as you go, no contract data plans.