View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 PM
JBird
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2010

I was in your exact position, but at Fort Polk a few years ago. Due to my work schedule, I could only get in the air about once a week. That combined with blocks of time off for weather, field problems and girl friend resulted in about an 18 month flash to bang on getting my PPL. It was frustrating, but since it was a hobby, I didn't mind too much. Plus my instructor was a walking history lesson (served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam) so I enjoyed spending time with him and meeting people at the airport. I think if you are fairly physically coordinated, you should be ok. It might sound a little goofy, but I used to "chair fly" which is to close my eyes and visualize a flight, moving my hands as I would in the plane...I think it prevented me from loosing some of the skills I'd gained from the previous lesson. Also, you might look into the recreational pilot certificate. I don't know all the limitations, but it will allow you to fly solo after about half the hours thus eliminating the instructor fees. Ensure you go to AOPA and sign up with them, its a six month free subscription to Flight Training Magazine which is a great resource. Lastly, I'd tell you not to buy new training products or equipment unless you have to. Scour eBay, this forum and others. I've never purchased anything brand new from ground school disks to a headset. A lot of people have a lot of no longer used stuff in thier closet or garage and if you ask, they will likely sell it to you. Pilots are an honest bunch and I have never been ripped off doing so.

Once you do get your ticket, you can be reimbursed for TDY trips you fly and also there are some military flight clubs out there that are much better on the wallet than renting on the economy. Leavenworth and Fort Meade are the only two Army ones I know of in CONUS, but the AF and Navy have a few out there.

Anway, enjoy your flying and enjoy the training process.