View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 04:57 PM
alpar80
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by skidoomike View Post
A very wise man wrote this. I believe that you have made the right choice. I miss aviation too, but not all the nonsense that goes with most of the jobs. In a world of selfish people you are stepping up to the plate, being a man and taking care of your family first. My hat is off to you. Airplanes do not love you, no matter how much you love them. A one sided love affair. Some people sacrafice family, friends and their health for a big piece of aluminum.
Thank you for the complement. I start my new job tomorrow at 5 am working in the city for the union and am finished at 2 pm, home with the kids by 3. This is a new way of life for me however, it will pay about 50 % more than what I was making, it allows for fully paid health care through the union along with a pension to retire on making 8k a month in my pocket after 25 yrs. I have many family members in this line of work who are quite successful and proud to be union, I am fortunate to have this token in my pocket.

As for flying it is something I had to do and was lucky to have gone as far as I did with it. I got a lot of experience and met great people I will never forget along with great places. If I were to do it over, I would have forgone the heavy loan and pt 141 schooling and went the route of the military. Not only do you get a chance to serve your country, you get paid to learn! I still have aspirations of serving my country however, I believe that flying is something that I will keep in my back pocket and if I do it again, it will be with my kids for pleasure or possibly on an "on call" basis with my old company to help them out when they are busy. I may not be in "love" with my new job but, it will pay me a wage that will offer a comfortable way of life and allow myself and my family a chance to experience things that they deserve. My love affair with aviation was for the freedom that it allows. Flying for a carrier for me was more or less a passion that offered a false reality in terms of a way of life. It may be for a single guy with no overhead but, for me, I woke up after being basically choked out by the low pay and living on the road and hung up my wings.

So here I go off to the 9-5 and I will not look back. Thank you Wilbur, Orville and God for giving me the chance to experience something so outstanding. Now I will be on the ground looking up at everyone at FL380 knowing that was me at one time, and I will keep my mouth shut knowing what I know and continue to work for my family. I will be home tonight. It was real!