View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Typhoonpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: tri current

Originally Posted by NCR757dxr View Post
For years I've wanted to be a pilot in Japan. I have loved Japan since I was little and was fortunate to have been an "airline brat" able to go many many times. I figure it will be a natural fit.

Since I just joined this forum, I decided I would finally ask "how to do it." I know a little bit about the process from the years of research but that is pretty much it.

I could easily finalize a B767 or B737 EFIS type rating but I do not have a great amount of TT. What are my options? I really would like to do this but don't know where to start. I know the type rating will go far but don't know a reasonable number for TT.

Air Japan and Air Do are two I've always kept an eye, yet I know there are others out there with the types.

Thanks

My opinion is the expats in Japan are in for a rough few years ahead. JAL furloughed all their expats a few years ago. They also laid off Japanese pilots. Those Japanese pilots will probably have first chance at any future openings.

Future openings is a big question mark after the earthquake and tsunami. I expect to see quite a few more lay offs in 6 months to a year as the downturn in Japanese tourism and outgoing finished products will create a sharp decline in needed aircraft movements.

I wouldn't be rushing to buy a type rating for a job in Japan. Without time in type the ratings are pretty meaningless.

Hope I'm wrong about a downturn and layoffs, but I wouldn't be rushing to take a job in Japan right now.

Typhoonpilot