View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 PM
PearlPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: DHC-8 SIC

When I depart out of a towered airport, I have an airport diagram handy and intimately familiarize with it. Some airports can be traps in that there might be crossing runways that can inadvertently cause you to pass the 2 solid lines. It might as well end up you having to call the tower, no good.
If you have to do a full runup, just pull in to the runup area, position aircraft into the wind, be considerate about other GA aircraft and maintain a safe distance from them. Be aware of your prop blast and position the ship accordingly. Do not spend a great deal of time looking in, make sure your aircraft isn't moving.
Also if you are flying solo, don't ever try to write down a departure clearance while taxiing. It is a big pet peeve of mine when ground control starts going, "Cessna xxx, departure frequency xxx, squawk xxx, etc." It's simply not safe to do so. Just tell them to standby and advise that you will let them know when you are ready to copy your clearance. Be safe, and like Cub said, a great way to review those procedures is through AOPA.