View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 PM
bcrosier
Eats shoots and leaves...

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Didactic Synthetic Aviation Experience Provider

Hmmm...

You need 1000TT to be in the running for a job flying a 172 or 182 solo along a pipeline, or to ferry single or multi-engine aircraft, but (for the moment), a commercial certificate and a smile (smile optional) are all you need to be SIC on a CFR Part 121 airliner hauling 50-70 unsuspecting passengers. I sort of gives one pause.

I think it's equally dangerous to have a 250 hour pilot instructing as it is flying right seat in a RJ.
For who? Probably not for the passengers who assume they are getting an experienced aircrew. Also, the last time I checked, most single engine trainers had slightly more docile characteristics than the typical swept wing jet, so I'm not quite tracking with you on this one.

And then you get the guys who don't want to instruct who are doing it just to build time, they're doing their students a disservice.
I do agree with you on this. These people should be banned from the industry. It ultimately comes down to a lack of professionalism on their parts. Sure, it may not be your dream to instruct until you retire - but while your doing it you owe it to your student, the rest of us sharing the airspace with them, as well as yourself to do the best job you can. Certainly not everyone has the same gift for instructing, but don't just sit there and mark time - be a good instructor and learn something along the way yourself.

(Note, not directed at AAA - just general thoughts on the matter)