View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 AM
Walkeraviator
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Airline Captain

Originally Posted by AbortAbortAbort View Post
The worst thing about the lower hour guys (sub 1200) are that there are so few jobs for them out there. Really the only thing you can do between 250 and 1200 is fly jumpers or instruct. I think it's equally dangerous to have a 250 hour pilot instructing as it is flying right seat in a RJ. And then you get the guys who don't want to instruct who are doing it just to build time, they're doing their students a disservice.

It's a shame for them that there's really nothing more to do between obtaining your Commercial and ATP.
The time building instructors are not always to blame though. Flight school owners are just as guilty. You will find that a lot of part 61 schools could care less about your ground training. They want that airplane in the air making money. I have a firm belief that a Private requires 40 hours flight time and 20 hours one-on-one ground instruction minimum. But on more than one occasion I have been yelled at by a flight school owner for doing ground instruction when a plane was sittin outside on the ramp.