View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 11:58 AM
clearprop
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: Right Seat Spouse

E1OUT,

Fantastic post. I am the spouse of a FO and your points about the strength it takes to keep a marriage/relationship together while your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend is away from home 3 nights can not be emphasized enough. Mine can now hold weekends off so that has helped. Also, our son is 14 so there are no little ones at home. Luckily, I enjoy aviation as a hobby so we always have a lot to share within the relationship when it comes to flying. Anyone who is considering a career as a professional pilot should read and re-read your post! If you are in a marriage you need to work twice as hard to hold it together. Our's is working because my wife and I WORK AT IT everyday. You need to protect yourself from AIDS. Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome.

"""Does the fact that you enjoy the job trump the enjoyment you gain from being at home with your family?""" I suppose that can vary from month to month for some depending on what is going on at home. In our case the enjoyment of the job rarely trumps the home/family.... Or so I'm told!