View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 03:08 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by blue34 View Post
Since I was working for my country government as a pilot, and we had a Department rule to fly by 2 pilots on King air. (PIC and Copilot)
We get to a very technical point of the rule here...

I suspect the FAA would allow your logged SIC time conducted under the foreign equivalent of a 135/121 OPSPEC.

However...just because your employer requires a second pilot does NOT mean that is an OPSPEC or equivalent foreign requirement, even if the employer is a government agency.

I think the determining factor would be the written document which required the second pilot. If it was an internal policy, memo, or procedure with no oversight or certification from your country's FAA-equivalent organization than it would probably not rise to the level of an OPSPEC requirement.

If the document is your country's equivalent of an OPSPEC, and is approved by your FAA-equivalent organization then you are probably legal.

If you happened to work FOR your FAA-equivalent agency, then you could probably claim that any such written policy had the force of regulation.

I'm just guessing how the FAA would approach it.

US employers on the other hand might flat-out refuse to allow SIC time in a one-pilot airplane unless it was acquired at a US 135 or 121 operator. They don't have the resources or inclination to research the details of such a claim. I would be careful with this...if there is any suspicion that you are claiming bogus foreign flight time, they will show you the door. Logged SIC in a King Air is certainly going to make them ask the question.

There is an FAA provision to acquire time as "SIC performing the duties of PIC under the supervision of a PIC". This is logged as SIC time and is only used for one specific purpose: the ATP rating. See FAR 61.159.