View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Sniper
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by Lambourne View Post
That is the job of the CSR, Ramp and Load Planning. Are you down stairs telling them where to place each container? Do you even have an idea of how much each container weighs or how it affects the CG? If you are a Captain when is the last time you even did a walk around?
I certainly have an idea how much each container weighs, as well as a general idea of how it relates to my CG - the FAR's still require a W&B to be carried on each flight, no?

As PIC, I try to do a quick walk-around whenever I pick-up an aircraft for the first time, especially if it comes out of MX. Especially on long transoceanic crossings, I like the opportunity to get some last-minute fresh air. I've certainly been known to go into the pit (or main deck on a freighter) on occasion - your first load shift on T/O will likely be your last. A couple minutes spent with the ground crew in casual conversation is often the best way to ferret out loading issues that wouldn't otherwise be brought to the crew's attention, as well get an overall idea of what I'm carrying (it also fosters good will and teamwork with folks that have my life in their hands). I don't micro-manage, but, when I sign for the aircraft, I like to know that the load on the W&B resembles what I observed (pallets, cans, and positions) and checks with common sense (30K lbs. vs. 300K lbs. of fuel is an easy mistake to make). Aircraft loading is, in the end, ultimately the PIC's responsibility, not a CSR's - as is where the OMC's bag will go.

Perhaps I'm in the minority or I'm too thorough for you, but my routine has kept me around so far.