View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Sink r8
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

Originally Posted by TheManager View Post
Sink. A little premature on the analysis. Do we JV with them out of SLC? That is the key to answer, cause if we don't, there went a lot of CDG-SLC and connecting on to the Bay Area/Nor Cal market.

If we can no longer justify an ER out of SLC, then what?
As I said, we don't offer anything competitive with LH's 380. If someone was going to Europe from SFO, and was given the choice of a single connection in FRA on a A380, and a double connection via SLC and CDG on a ER... I'm pretty sure LH would win.

Since I don't think we were anywhere close to launching a direct to AMS or CDG from SFO with lie-flats, and amenities equivalent to the 380, then this is a move that's exploring JV revenue on a city pair we're not toying with all that much.

I didn't say this is anything to do backflips over, but it is an example of the JV working as intended.

If we're distributing flying on the basis of ASM's, then I would imagine one A380 SFO-CDG needs at least two 7ER's from the East Coast to offset. And if this dings the SLC-CDG flight, which I don't really see (there are plenty of better options from SFO on Star), then we need further offset.

I can certainly review my analysis if warranted. At a glance, I'm not worried about this one. I'm more concerned we'll not see AMM or CAI back from JFK, for example.