View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 AM
jungle
With The Resistance

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Burning the Agitprop of the Apparat

Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
I did not know that slavery was a necessity. I will admit that it made a lot of money, but I don't believe slavery was up there with food, shelter, and water in the 1700s and 1800s.
Getting a little off track here, but history is full of examples of slavery and indentured servitude.

"Among the earliest examples of plantations were the latifundia of the Roman Empire, which produced large quantities of wine and olive oil for export. Plantation agriculture grew rapidly with the increase in international trade and the development of a worldwide economy that followed the expansion of European colonial empires. Like every economic activity, it has changed over time. Earlier forms of plantation agriculture were associated with large disparities of wealth and income, foreign ownership and political influence, and exploitative social systems such as indentured labor and slavery."

Now we no longer need such brutal methods, all that is required is to place the harness on the taxpayer and have him pull the plow.