Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Oldog
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by N5467C View Post
I would like to hear from anyone that knows a little about Ameriflight.

About myself- I am a low time pilot(cfi) looking to get started with a regional 121, cargo 121, or cargo 135 company (once I hit 135 mins or get my ATP.) Ameriflight seems like a great company to work for in comparison to a regional airline, or any other feeder cargo company.

Does anyone know what work scdedules might be like, ex. 5 days on, 2 days of?

Air you returning to your base each day, or are you gone during your work period?

What plane to they usally start you with? (It seems like to me, either the beech99 or the navajo.)

What is QOL like there or anyother insights that might steer one away from ameriflight or attract one towards having goals towards working for the company?

Also I do not have a degree, although I am close to a 2-year aviation degree, is a degree 2-year, or 4-year degree needed, or helpful when trying to get on with Ameriflight?
Air you returning to your base each day, or are you gone during your work period?
-- Most flights originate from a domicile station in early morning, remain at an outstation most of the day, and return to the domicile in the evening and RON. If you're based at the domicile, you're usually home at night. Some pilots are based at the outstation, in which case they're home all day -- but there are other options, depending upon what you're senior enough to hold a bid on. With about 2,000 departures per week in the system, there's lots of variety.

What plane to they usally start you with? (It seems like to me, either the beech99 or the navajo.)
-- Piper Navajo/Chieftain unless you're specifically qualified in one of the company's turbine types and they are unable to find successful bidders for a particular flight sequence from within their current pilot group.

What is QOL like there or anyother insights that might steer one away from ameriflight or attract one towards having goals towards working for the company?
-- As is the case with many entry level jobs, QOL for junior pilots is not a major positive factor. You usually get two or two and a half days per week off. The trip bids available to junior pilots are often not at the most desirable places in the world . . . but -- as the case generally in the airline business -- with more seniority under your belt, you can bid for more attractive domiciles, larger equipment, more pay. . . .

Also I do not have a degree, although I am close to a 2-year aviation degree, is a degree 2-year, or 4-year degree needed, or helpful when trying to get on with Ameriflight?
-- Real world IFR multiengine flight experience, a good work ethic, and a compatible personality are more important at Ameriflight than a college degree.