View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 12:36 PM
pilotbaba
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by stratoduck View Post
there are two ways to go about getting your U.S. ATP:

get a U.S. private pilot certificate based on a foreign license. you will need to take an abbreviated instrument written. with this, get three hours test prep, pass the commercial written, and take the commercial pilot practical examination. with this, take the ATP written, and take the ATP practical examination.

the second method is far easier; take the ATP written and take the ATP practical exam using your foreign ATP as basis. the only problem with this route is that the A320 type will not transfer.

it will transfer on to the private based on a foreign, and then transfer to the commercial, and then to the ATP. so more convoluted route, but you obviously want to keep the type rating.

i guess there is one other method, and that would be to take an A320 type ride in a 142 school (flight safety, CAE, simuflight, etc.), and also have them issue you an ATP certificate, again basing it on your foreign ATP.

so, yeah, i guess there are three ways you can get the US ATP, but only two will have the A320 type on it. i would assume that my last suggestion is cost prohibitive.

check with your local FSDO to confirm.
Hello capt Ramesh

Welcome to USA

Converting your stuff here is a lot LOTTTT easier than DGCA but U need to know your destination...... where are U headed & what are your intentions... so U move to convert your stuff in either a cost effective or expidited way.

Like pointed above, YES you could convert your ATP with A320 type & do a checkride, If U have a job lined up, you need to move quick because of recency requirements. If not looking to join anything anytime soon, All U need to do is get ATP regular. Who so ever would hire U, they may do the type check ride for you.

2nd & most important thing, I would personally refrain from obaitining anything based indian DGCA LIC because indian Licences expire & when that expires, FAA ATP expires..... U would also need to keep visiting CME very regularly to keep Indian Medical current.

You will very soon also find out that even though getting a lic is very easy in US, getting a job is not & even if you get one, the GLORY of a commander is not the same......

You may not really like the environment after a bit, so pls keep Indian DGCA current.

U will also need to get signoffs, flying practise for check ride preperation and checkouts for writtens & checkrides. If U don't know anyone here, Pls feel free to PM me. I know a few people who can help U and depending on where U are in USA, they should be able to do your practise & checkrides.

Bye the way, which airline did U fly for, if U don't mind me asking.