View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 05:16 AM
eaglefly
Banned

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by slowplay View Post
Over the last decade can you point to any legacy airline that went through bankruptcy that didn't have a major labor reset done?

It's good that you're not personally worried. What could go wrong...with American Eagle up for sale/restructure and AMR losing money...
Dude.............get a clue.

I agree that major changes would occur, but I disagree that AA will be reset to the lowest of the low. Nope, not personally worried. If AA does go BK, you can look for a mass movement of senior pilots to the retirement bin and major hiring to make up for it. As others say, AA would then become the leanest of the lean and could expand internally to match the competition with the best balance sheet out there. As someone very junior with little invested, major hiring and expansion would actually probabaly be better for me personally, then not seeing that if BK is avoided. In that case growth will be much slower and tedious.

If I was senior it would be totally different and personally, I'd not like to see BK for many here, but I have no control over that so again........not worried about what I cannot control. It will or will not happen.

BTW, if AA did go BK, it would put TREMENDOUS new pressure on DAL and UAL and quite possibly could result in ANOTHER trip down the BK road in the future for one or both, just to re-compete depending on economic forces. One major difference in a possible AA BK compared to another BK trip for one or both of the above is that AA has no real valuable airline to merge with anymore and since being passed up in capacity and revenue generation/market share they have room and need to expand and would use internal growth as the expansion vehicle as opposed to still wallowing in pre BK mergers that might leave too much capacity or at the very least, certainly little room for explosive growth after another BK. I believe AA would need several thousand pilots over a fairly short period of time.

In the interim, feel free to take that open seat next to CVG in the AA BK glee club skybox and watch the show.

Last edited by eaglefly; 04-23-2011 at 05:31 AM.