Old 04-30-2011, 07:01 AM
jsfBoat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Lovin' life at .4 (ish) mach
Default Discrimination with my reserve participation

I'm always sending out lots of resumes, and there's something with either my cover letter or resume that is hindering me from getting even a call to interview. I believe it's my participation in the Army Reserves, but can't prove it. I went to two interviews this with in the last year, and the chief pilot was really questioning me about my reserve commitment and if I would be deployed or not. Despite me telling him, I've been in nearly 10 years (active duty and reserves) and have never been deployed, even though I wanted to be (wasn't mentioned). I don't believe it's my composition skills, as I've been complimented many times on my ability to write a well written resume and cover letter.

I have put "US Army" on my resume because that encompasses both my active and reserve time. I have heard from other regional/airline/cargo pilots that their participation in the military, either Guard or Reserve, makes it difficult for them to get employment. How have others dealt with this? I'm trying to figure out what it is about my resume that prevents me from getting a phone call to come interview. Every twenty that I send out, I am lucky if I get one phone call to be invited for an interview. It's a bit frustrating.