View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Sniper
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by hockeypilot44 View Post
I also don't understand how a 170 cannot be profitable for Republic flying them as branded, but Delta wants as many as possible.
Delta can make $ on passengers by connecting them to their much larger network, including small cities like ROA or MYT that can't support a NB with a desirable frequency levels or international destinations like TLV or NCE - the 170 leg is a $ loser, but the profit on the connection more than offsets the loss (or that's the theory).

Originally Posted by satchip View Post
If I could waive a magic wand, I would scope all flying over 100 miles as ours. Let the company figure out what plane to put on the route. Focusing on planes and seat numbers is what got us E170s and CRJ 900s flying 4+ hour segments.
Part of the issue with a '1 hour' scope is that it would prevent Delta from developing a market (say SLC-BIL) to make it big enough to support a mainline NB, prevent route flexibility (flying to say JAC in the summer with RJ's and using 319's in the winter) as well as deprive DL of capturing the highly profitable 'small markets', like ROA or GJT (MRY is scheduled for exactly 1 hour from LAX, incidentally). While DL could fill a 320 to ROA or GJT, the connection time would likely increase as the frequency decreased, which might drive passengers to the competition. The DCA-LGA-BOS shuttle is the best example. Today (5/4/11), every DCA-LGA flight is an EMB-175, but every BOS-LGA flight is an A-319. I can only assume that there is more traffic on the BOS-LGA route than the DCA-LGA route, but DL wants to maintain the hourly frequency on both, so they've 'right-sized' the equipment to the routes.

Its tough to figure out a way to ensure that Delta pilots do Delta flying, while also allowing Delta the opportunity to capture premium smaller markets or have the flexibility to increase frequencies. Clearly, something must be done. Perhaps a 'time limit scope' is an area that DALPA or a new DPA should explore.

What about a % scope, ie, only 25% of all Passenger Seat Miles operated with Delta code on them may be operated by non-Delta seniority list pilots? Whether it be an Air France flight from JFK-CDG or an ASA flight from DTW-BOS, this '% scope' would allow Delta flexibility to operate RJ's to develop smaller markets, use RJ's to capture small market premium traffic, or use code shares to increase the network, while protecting DALPA pilot positions on both the smallest gauge aircraft (DC-9) and the largest (747). You'd have to use PSM's, rather than flights, b/c you could easily eliminate a large portion of the wide-body flying if you tied it to flights (one 747 flight = five DC-9 flights). Just an idea, though if it was a good one, it would have already been thought of.