View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Jetjok
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by beebopbogo View Post
First off, airlines are going under. It's the sketchiest career I've ever entered. So, screw that, I'm going cargo. I'm currently a CRJ FO with Mesa Airlines and would like to know the most sure-fire way of getting into UPS or FedEx, long term.

I have 2 years instructing experience, a summer of Alaska bush flying under my belt, and half-a-year in the CRJ200/900. I was debating whether I should stay here accruing jet time, or if I should switch over to Ameriflight (god knows it pays better) to get some cargo experience. Which is more valuable?

So for all those UPS/FedEx pilots out there, which path should I take to become a likely candidate for UPS/FedEx within around 6 years?

Thanks,

--Beebop
Hey,

Here's my advice to you. Take it for what it's worth.
1. Just because "airlines are going under" doesn't mean that you're "going cargo." I think what you meant to say was you would prefer to work for a cargo carrying airline. A lot depends on what the cargo airlines think of you as both a person as well as a pilot.

2. Your 2 years instructing and your Alaskan bush flying are of virtually no significance to anyone, other than yourself, of course. All the airlines are concerned with your total flying time, PIC time, jet time, etc, etc. They don't care if you got that time flying checks at night or flying rubber dog sh!t out of Bombay in a the middle of a thunderstorm. They care about the type of time that they require of you to have before they will interview you.

3. If I were you and I was being interviewed by the Alaska Air National Guard, I'd probably not tell them that I've applied for their very competitive pilot training slot "for two reasons: to get some military transport experience for my resume and to get some military experience for the fun and variety of flying." Because if you do, you'll get your first taste of supersonic flight, when they throw your sorry ass out of their facility, at supersonic speed.

Sorry if I've come across rather abruptly, but your whole post offended my view of both professional cargo pilots as well as military pilots. And, having been both, I thought you'd like to know.