View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 02:42 PM
LAfrequentflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Default investing...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0.../roth_ira.html

There are a lot of different schools of thought out there...Do lots or reading and ask lots of questions...

What I do and what works for me: I max out my Roth with one payment on 10 January every year. Since I'm in the military I get no 401K w/ match. I have a TSP (www.tsp.gov) - I have it set up to invest 10% of my paycheck per month into a target retirement fund (present allocation is 90% stocks and 10% bonds - in 2040 the allocation will be 60% stocks and 40% bonds. Once I leave the military I can roll-over my TSP into a 401K with my civilian company)...I also put $$$ into vanguard S&P index fund.

Your mantra should be to ' invest, invest, and invest again for retirement'

Start early and keep investing...

I put money into my Roth in January so it can build interest for me longer. I could break up the payments to get the full match over the course of the year. However, I plan it out so I have the money waiting / ready in December to invest in January.

Financial planning takes practice, self-discipline, and most of all self-awareness. Don't get your ego tied into wealth or the investment game. Have a plan - written down on where you are now and where you want to go with retirement. If you don't are you really planning / investing for retirement or are you along for the ride...Ever notice how some people say they are taking their dog for a walk but if you look closely the dog is actually taking them? Investing is the same way...Except this dog will take you to the poor house at the wrong time...

Look at the numbers and rate of return on investments then do what you feel comfortable with.

PM me if you want to talk...

-LAFF