View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 03:29 PM
machz990
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: 777 CAP

This deviation and accepted fare fiasco started with the Fox system or whatever they called the new computer system. We used to be able to cancel individual legs but not any more. We used to get our deviation bank adjusted higher if Corp. Travel had to book at a fare higher than the accepted fare. We lost all of this with zero negotiation. It was simply taken away. Precedent had been set for a number of years. Now we have to try and negotiate it back if we ever put it high enough on the priority list.

Here is what I suggest. Never deviate on the back end. Just call and cancel any scheduled tickets with Global Travel. That way if the trip changes you are pay protected and not simply on your own. On the front end if I have a D/H to an overseas destination or a multi-leg D/H to a destination with a long expensive GT, I try to book a reservation that puts me on the scheduled final leg into the destination. I then cancel the scheduled airline ticket with Global Travel. I was promised by a previous ACP who is now on the 777 that I would always have GT at the other end if I flew the scheduled ocean crossing leg into the destination and he would make sure that I was covered if there was a failure. I even have a copy of his old email stating as such. Probably doesn't hold water now that there has been an empire change.

While I'm rambling let me also tell you that the extra nickel per hour per diem is really going a long way down here in Sydney where the exchange rate for the dollar has dropped from 1.3 AUD per US dollar to .95 AUD per US dollar! That nickel ($1.20 per day) covers the first 3 AUD I buy and then I eat the 30% drop on the rest!