View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 02:29 PM
TheBaron
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: MD-11 FO

Originally Posted by Alfaro120 View Post
OK, why do you go to work? Why do you leave your family and home? Why did you spend all that time in school, college, making pocket change at a flight school or regional airline? The answer is simple...money. We work for money. Yes, its nice to work at a job that appreciates your hard work, respects you and provides a comfortable work environment but in the end however, this is not why we go to work. We work for pay (including benefits/retirement). Looking at the two pay scales UPS pays quite a bit more than Fed-EX. It would take a Fed-EX FE 13 years or 10 years as a narrow body FO to make what UPS would pay in 2 years. I know that life isn't all about money but if, God willing, I were to get hired at UPS someday I would use that money wisely, invest it and perhaps retire a few years early. After the first year, I could afford to take a nice vacation somewhere, perhaps take a few extra days off or give to those in need. I don't need a big boat, mansion or ocean front property nor do I care for those kind of things. It would be nice however to live comfortably, let my wife stay at home and raise the kids, help my children with college, help out family members and the list goes on and on. UPS helps you to achieve that kind of life quickly. You don't have to wait 5 or 10 years of "pretty good money" until you start making "really good money." If you need someone to pat you on the back and tell you how great you are, then maybe FedEX or Southwest is for you but if you are like me and just want to work hard and go home and enjoy the fruits of your labor than there is no doubt in my mind that UPS is the place to be. Besides, I doubt that UPS management is just waiting for opportunities to screw its pilot over. I'm not saying that Fed-Ex sucks just that UPS is better.
With your fuzzy understanding of "money," you should aim for a job in politics. Year 7 at FedEx and I make more per hour than my counterparts at Brown. Too many contradictions in your post to take it seriously. You claim not to care about the trappings of wealth but then claim the only important difference between employers is how much money they pay.