View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 09:59 AM
xtownboy
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2010
Position: A320 Right Seat
Default Free time is still time!

I have mixed feelings on this topic, this is a great way to build quality time if you get involved with the right operation. I am a new comm pilot and just took a job flying jumpers on the weekend, this this is a non paying job which I know is a major issue with some people, but this drop zone has been around for over 40 years and has NEVER had to pay a pilot. I am not happy about the no pay but the time I am earning is unreal. I don't even have my multi yet, but the owner is going to check me out in his Beech 18 after I get the multi rating. So only having only 260 hours and a comm ticket for 30 days I am already building time in a 182, plus the chance to log pic time in a twin turbine this summer. How can you say no to someone who offers you that chance? Maybe it is diff in other parts of the country but here in Ohio Comm pilots are not that rare (my neighbor is a Comm pilot) we have pilots all over the place trying to build time. I do not feel guilty about working for free to build time. That being said I will not take up a spot for the next guy in line, get in get your time, get out and help the next guy get in then move on, don't plug up the pipeline. I know this may upset some people but for those of us that didn't have airline captains as fathers to help us, or mommy and daddy to pay for then CFI rating while letting them live at home free while teaching, this non paying job is the best job I have ever had and I used to make 60k year.