Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 PM   #1  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
vagabond's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172
Posts: 7,754
Default FedEx Companies

Can someone please enlighten me on this? I always understood the flying subsidiary of FedEx is called FedEx Express, and of course, the equipment used is airplanes (e.g., Izzul and Zebradedra). I was caught in traffic in downtown Seattle today. Right in front of me was a truck with "FedEx Express" emblazoned on the sides and back. Hmmmmm.
vagabond is offline  
Old 03-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #2  
Organizational Learning 
 
TonyC's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner
Posts: 4,579
Default

Even when it was a single company, Federal Express has used trucks to transport packages where it makes sense. Trucks are commonly used to transport freight from the airport to stations located off-airport in the same city, and in nearby cities. The difference between those trucks, and, say, a FedEx Ground truck is the product they transport -- it's one of the FedEx Express products, with guaranteed on-time delivery the next day, or in some cases, the 2nd day. It will be delivered by a FedEx Express courier wearing the blue and purple uniform.





.
TonyC is offline  
Old 03-16-2007, 04:38 AM   #3  
...Whatever It Is!
 
MD11Fr8Dog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
Can someone please enlighten me on this? I always understood the flying subsidiary of FedEx is called FedEx Express, and of course, the equipment used is airplanes (e.g., Izzul and Zebradedra). I was caught in traffic in downtown Seattle today. Right in front of me was a truck with "FedEx Express" emblazoned on the sides and back. Hmmmmm.
Yep, FedEx Express packages are delivered by FedEx Express couriers in FedEx Express trucks.

FedEx Ground, FedEx Freight, etc, packages never get into the FedEx Express system and is delivered by their own delivery people.

FedEx Express - purple/orange
FedEx Ground - purple/green
FedEx Freight - Purple/red

I have my 3yr taught to tell the difference!
MD11Fr8Dog is offline  
Old 03-16-2007, 05:43 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired
Posts: 3,589
Default

That was Freds' secret weapon when he sent us that red letter. Non-time-certain ground delivery, delivered whenever. Yeah, right.
Jetjok is offline  
Old 03-16-2007, 08:33 AM   #5  
Organizational Learning 
 
TonyC's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner
Posts: 4,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post

That was Freds' secret weapon when he sent us that red letter.

His secret weapon was the bluff.

Sadly, it worked on too many folks.


If it could be done with trucks, we wouldn't be here.



.
TonyC is offline  
Old 03-16-2007, 08:51 AM   #6  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
vagabond's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172
Posts: 7,754
Default

Thanks for the enlightenment! So is it safe to say that last year when we bought a house, all the paperwork going back and forth between SEA and SAT made a pit stop in MEM? Regardless, I am still amazed at the system that Fred built. I wonder why the stock price is well below what I paid for it!
vagabond is offline  
Old 03-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired
Posts: 3,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
His secret weapon was the bluff.

Sadly, it worked on too many folks.


If it could be done with trucks, we wouldn't be here.



.
You're absolutely correct, but the bluff didn't work on the New York or Oakland domiciled crews, and that's why the bases were closed down. One of the sadder days around here, IMO.
Jetjok is offline  
Old 03-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Freightbird's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: A300 Capt
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
Thanks for the enlightenment! So is it safe to say that last year when we bought a house, all the paperwork going back and forth between SEA and SAT made a pit stop in MEM? Regardless, I am still amazed at the system that Fred built. I wonder why the stock price is well below what I paid for it!

It could have made a pit stop in Indy!
Freightbird is offline  
Old 03-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #9  
...Whatever It Is!
 
MD11Fr8Dog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightbird View Post
It could have made a pit stop in Indy!

Or even OAK.
MD11Fr8Dog is offline  
Old 03-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #10  
...Whatever It Is!
 
MD11Fr8Dog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
You're absolutely correct, but the bluff didn't work on the New York or Oakland domiciled crews, and that's why the bases were closed down. One of the sadder days around here, IMO.
Most, if not all, of those crews were already in MEM, but I understand and agree with your point!
MD11Fr8Dog is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FedEx to Modernize Retirement Plans?!?!?!?! angry tanker Cargo 91 03-08-2007 09:56 AM
FedEx Corporation cub pilot Cargo 72 05-27-2006 05:02 AM
FedEx to Acquire Chinese Transportation Co. TonyC Major 0 01-24-2006 06:21 PM
Mutiny on the FedEx truck Sasquatch Cargo 3 11-30-2005 08:42 PM
FedEx bets big in pilot offer? Freighter Captain Cargo 3 05-16-2005 07:00 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:26 AM.